What is Sidr Honey? Benefits, Uses, & Recipes
Everyone seems to be familiar with the fact that honey is extracted from the beehive, and the honey is created with the help of the nectar taken from flower buds or plants. Well, here’s something different from the norm - the Sidr tree is one of the plans the honey bees visit to provide us with delicious Sidr honey. The Sidr tree’s leaves, fruit, and seeds come with medicinal characteristics and can be used for the holistic improvement of physical and mental health. Parts of these trees contain Carbohydrates, Protein, Fat, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Sulphur, Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, and Sodium which is the same as found in nectar in flowers.
The Sidr honey is extracted from the nectar of the Ziziphus or Lote tree. This tree is found in the desert regions of Middle Eastern countries which include Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and even in Pakistan’s Potohar region. But this is predominantly found in Yemen where people use all parts of the tree to derive medicinal qualities. Since the whole tree is claimed to possess healing properties, the same applies to its nectars as well, making honey a possible cure for any sort of illness or sickness. Sidr honey is used in cooking a variety of home foods and sweets, it’s used as a smoothening agent for hair and also in a bunch of cosmetic and ayurvedic products.
The Sidr honey is known specifically for its peculiar taste and texture. This holds true for all monofloral honeys and hence, is sold for a higher price in the marketplace when compared to the other imported or local honey.
How to use it to gain all the Sidr honey benefits?
There are many ways one can consume or use Sidr honey in their daily life. Some of the principal ways are –
- Drizzle it to substitute maple syrup and sweeteners on pancakes, waffles, and cupcakes or can even be used as a side sauce for food. This could be a healthier alternative to give your children or age-old people who are suffering from diabetes and want to indulge in some sweetness. This could also be used as a dressing on salads and other food items to give it a dash of that caramelly taste.
- Adding few drops of honey to hot water with lime and consuming in the morning for maximum health benefits - It is claimed that having this healthy concoction first thing in the morning on an empty stomach could do wonders for your body, including helping you to shed a couple of those pounds around your love handles.
- Consuming 2-3 tablespoons of raw honey on a daily basis for increasing overall immunity - Take this the way you religiously consume sea cod pills every day or slip a piece of chocolate into your mouth without anyone noticing. Trust us, this honey tastes and feels better than both!
- Can be used on wounds, burns, or bruises for faster healing and even provide a cooling sensation to soothe the same. Do you bruise yourself quite often and can’t find an ointment? You always have Sidr honey to helps with treating your wounds in a better way.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of honey to curries to enhance the flavor. It can be used in Chinese food as an additional condiment. That orange chicken will taste yummier with this honey in it!
- The lockdown forced us all to sit at home without any opportunity of going out and getting our favorite cosmetic products. But, you’ll be glad to know that there’s a natural way to improve your skin at home. Sidr Honey can also be used in skincare remedies such as honey facemasks along with other medicinal products such as turmeric, yogurt, almond oil, etc. to achieve glowing skin or eradicate acne or pimples on the face. Just mixing up a couple of teaspoons of honey with condiments at home can turn out to be a life-changing face mask thanks to the many Sidr honey benefits.
- It could be used as a hair mask in a similar fashion along with hair growth-enhancing substances or can even be used to reduce irritation in hair by preventing dandruff growth. Fans of long luscious black hair can take note of such Sidr honey benefits without second doubts.
The Sidr honey has high levels of antioxidants and antimicrobial characteristics which can be used to maintain physical well-being by preventing possible infections. It is also essential to know that Sidr honey is harvested only once or twice a year when the Sidr flowers bloom, which is quite a rare occasion.
Sidr honey benefits: What are they?
There is a reason why Sidr honey is known to be one of the greatest kinds of honey in the world and for its humongous demand all across the globe. Sidr honey is more than just good for your body. It not only heals you or prevents infections, it also improves your overall health by boosting immunity. This is why you should be getting your hands on some of this nectar and adding it instantly to your current diet.
Sidr honey also proves to be a natural aphrodisiac when mixed with carrot seeds and nuts. So, you know what to take, just in case you want to improve or increase your libido.
Sidr honey has multiple benefits and can be used multi functionally. Some of the main Sidr honey benefits are –
- Relieves throat pain, cough, and flu symptoms
- Boosts and tremendously increases immunity
- Improves energy levels
- Helps fight illnesses and healing processes
- Helps with hangovers
- Aids in resting better and feeling calm from within
- Boosts memory retention
- Reduces bed-wetting among kids
- Can potentially heal cancer namely bone cancer, stomach cancer, etc.
- Since it has zero fat and low sugar, it can be used for weight loss
- Contains anti-aging properties that can give you a fresh, healthy, and glowing skin
More Sidr honey benefits: Fighting Cancer
It is claimed that consuming Sidr honey with grounded cinnamon 3 times a day can ultimately heal bone cancer and even cure it. The improvements in health after starting on this honey treatment can be seen within a month. Some of the other cancers that can be fought with Sidr honey are – brain tumors, breast cancer, liver cancer, and pancreatic cancer.
Sidr honey serves the prime purpose of reducing chronic inflammatory processes and increasing immunity. They are even called “natural cancer vaccine” by many. Moreover, it is said that honey is generally rich in flavonoids that contribute towards anti-cancer characteristics and improving immunity. According to recent research, some simple and polyphenols found in honey, namely, caffeic acid (CA), caffeic acid phenyl esters (CAPE), chrysin (CR), galangin (GA), quercetin (QU), kaempferol (KP), acacetin (AC), pinocembrin (PC), pinobanksin (PB), and apigenin (AP), have evolved as promising pharmacological agents in prevention and treatment of cancer.
With everything that the healthcare workers do to treat cancer, it can be quite taxing for the person who is going through the treatment with a great number of side effects inflicting more pain on them. Because of these ill effects that certain treatments possess, finding a healthier and effective alternative can be extremely vital and less destructive on the patient’s physical and mental health.
With reference to the research conducted by Food Science & Nutrition, it is said that “Honey has several bioactive molecules such as caffeic acid, caffeic acid phenethyl ester, and flavonoid glycons which have been shown to have inhibitory effects on tumor cell division.” It is further believed that this honey could tremendously improve the conditions of bone and stomach cancer depending on the intake and dosage of the same.It is said that Sidr honey has no side effects. Even when used in small quantities, Sidr honey shows exceptional antibacterial activity inside the body, helping it keep your system hygienic and free of harmful microbes that could otherwise cause infections.