Honey: Food that helps Mental Health
2020 has been one of the toughest years for most people due to the pandemic and the change in lifestyle it has brought about. Naturally, it has taken a toll on a lot of people’s mental health. Unfortunately, this is something a majority of people do not take very seriously. Mental health is just as important as our physical health, if not more. Therefore, it is very important to take care of yourself before you develop any serious mental health disorder that requires advanced treatment.
How does mental health affect food choices?
As just mentioned, mental health and food habits are inter-connected in many ways. When you are sad or depressed, you end up being lazy and not having a positive mindset to do anything. This often leads to you binging processed or junk food, which may seem to be okay at that point but has a huge effect later on. Eating healthy food, preferably home-cooked food, is very important to improve mental health disorders like depression and anxiety.
Can honey affect mental health?
Honey for mental health has come up as a good option over the years. This is because it is not just the honey’s mental health benefits but also other health benefits that come into play and ensure that you are feeling good. An improvement in your overall physical health definitely has a big say in your mental health as well.
Here are a few ways in which consuming honey for mental health’s improvement is a good option.
- Improves your appearance and hence your confidence: Not having a flawless skin and being overweight are just a few things that can lead to lack of confidence or depression in a person. However, consuming raw honey is a great option to not only treat skin problems like acne and blackheads but also to lose weight. Feeling confident about your appearance is a huge step in the direction of treating your mental health disorder.
- Helps you improve memory: Honey has been found out to improve memory power in people, which helps in alleviating the effects mental health disorders like dementia. This is one of the honey’s mental health benefits that not many people know.
- It helps reduce coughing: Consuming honey can be really beneficial for a person suffering from a sore throat or cold, cough and flu. You can add honey in a cup of tea or warm(not hot) water and drink it to heal your sore throat. Now, you might ask how it helps you with your mental health. The answer lies in the fact that regular coughing disturbs your sleep, and sleeplessness is one of the biggest causes of mental health issues. So, this too comes under the benefits provided by honey for mental health’s improvement.
What foods help mental health?
Apart from honey for mental health, there are other food items that can help with mental health. Here is a list of mental health food items that you must consume.
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Salmon and other foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
- Legumes, seeds and nuts
- Whole grains
Note that, it has been observed that having a balanced diet has a significant impact on improving your mental health. Therefore, you should spread your meals accordingly, and add a daily dose of honey for mental health’s improvement. Additionally closeness to Nature has shown positive effect on ones mental health.
What foods affect mental health?
There are certain food items that can affect your mental health badly and they are the ones that you must definitely avoid. Here are a few examples:
- Processed meat
- Fried food
- Food items with high sugar content
- High-fat dairy products
Now that you know how important it is for you to consume good and healthy food to ensure a peaceful mental health, you must surely invest time to do this diligently. Do not forget to include EiwaHoney’s many flavours of honey for mental health’s improvement in your diet.