Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask
“Oh My God! My hair is getting drier with each passing day even after trying so many remedies!” If you just resonated with this statement, then this blog post will surely help you. Dry hair is fast-becoming one of the most common hair problems faced by people around the world. So, the big question here is how can it be treated or made better? The answer lies in two simple food items that are available in almost every household – coconut oil and honey. Here, we’ll take you through the different benefits of these two ingredients for your hair and give you a step-by-step guide on how to use them as a hair mask.
What are the benefits of honey and coconut oil for hair?
Both honey and coconut oil are known to soften the hair and give it a shiny texture. This is what you see on the exterior but both these ingredients do a lot for the health of the hair as well. Let us focus on both honey and coconut oil individually to give you a better idea of the benefits.
Benefits of honey for hair
- To start with, honey has excellent anti-oxidant properties, which help in preventing hair damage and improving health of your scalp and hair. The improved blood-flow in the head enhances the health of the hair follicles, which provides the ideal nourishment for hair.
- Being an emollient, honey is capable of soothing and softening hair. This is done as honey enables the hair to retain the moisture content within, hence conditioning the hair all the time. Another benefit from this same feature of honey is the fact that it reduces breakage, which is one of the major causes of problems like hair damage, slower hair growth and dry hair.
- Honey helps in preventing dandruff, eczema, skin rashes on scalp and other such bacterial diseases because of its antibacterial This also improves the hair growth as there are no hindrances now.
- Honey also helps in improving the health of the hair follicles, which is essential for good and healthy hair. Only if you have active and healthy hair follicles will you have a good volume of hair. Furthermore, honey helps in cleaning these follicles as well, thus preventing clogging, which is again a major cause for hair loss.
- Honey does a pretty good job in giving life to dormant follicles, which means there is a good scope of filling the patches on your head with continuous use of honey.
Benefits of coconut oil for hair
- Recent studies have shown that coconut oil can help prevent fungal infections on the scalp. It helps keep your scalp healthy, which is crucial for hair growth.
- Since coconut oil is a natural saturated fat, it helps in reducing the irritation or the burning sensation on the scalp. Similarly, it helps in fighting flaking and itching as well, along with retaining moisture content in the hair. This is the key to giving the shine to your hair.
- Another excellent benefit of using coconut oil is the fact that it is absorbed by hair much more quickly than other mineral or natural oils. As a result, this reduces split ends considerably, which means you would not have to indulge in regular trims. Therefore, you will automatically feel your hair to be growing faster than usual.
- If you apply coconut oil as a conditioner on your hair after having a bath, it can prevent dryness and brittleness, thus leading to a healthy bunch of hair.
- Before drying or heat-blowing your hair, if you apply some oil on your hair, it will protect the hair from heat damage. Basically, the oil prevents the hair from swelling up because of too much water content, as swollen-up hair can break more easily than otherwise.
- Applying coconut oil on your scalp can considerably help in killing hair lice and lice eggs, thus making it ideal for someone with this problem.
Now that you know the major benefits of both honey and coconut oil with respect to your hair, let’s jump into the major point of interest – how to use them as a hair mask.
How to use honey and coconut oil for hair?
Before starting with the step-by-step guide for using honey-coconut oil hair mask, we would like you to keep one thing in mind. This can get messy, so make sure that you apply it when you are wearing a bathrobe or a towel, and make sure that you apply it just before taking a shower, ideally.
1. Mix the two ingredients
Take one tablespoon of honey and coconut oil each and blend them in a small bowl. Note that, you can go for any honey but the ideal option should be to go for raw and organic honey that has all the natural ingredients in it. If you want some extra aroma in the mix, you can throw in a few drops of an essential oil of your choice. If you live in a cold area, then mixing these two liquids can be tough. Don’t worry, as you simply need to heat them up and then mix them with ease.
2. Apply in the drier patches on your scalp
Yes, you can apply this hair mask to wet hair as well but ideally, you should do it on your dry hair. Therefore, always use it before taking a shower. Note that you need to apply the hair mask throughout the length of the hair and not just your scalp. To begin with, you can do this just for the dry areas and then slowly move towards the remaining areas.
3. Let it rest for a while
The next step is to just sit and relax, and let the hair mask do its magic. You need to keep it there for at least 20-30 minutes. Women can simply roll up their hair into a bun. Otherwise, the better thing to do would be to wrap it up with a shower cap or a cellophane sheet. Read a book or indulge in gardening or simply have some ‘me’ time during this waiting period.
4. Rinse it with warm water
Make sure that you rinse your hair with warm water, as only then will the hair mask be fully removed. Post this, you can follow your regular hair-care routine that consists of your shampoo and conditioner.
With such a simple procedure to create this hair mask, anyone can do it with ease. Moreover, both the ingredients are readily available at most households, which is exactly what make this hair mask so appealing.
Use of coconut oil and honey hair mask for dandruff
One of the most common questions people ask is whether this hair mask can treat dandruff, and the answer is yes. As mentioned above, honey has antibacterial properties and coconut oil reduces brittleness, both of which help in reducing the cause of dandruff. So, if you have been trying different chemical products in the market, it is time to switch to this hair mask to reduce the production of dandruff.
Can you leave honey and coconut oil on your hair overnight?
If you have a lot of damaged hair, then you can leave this mask for overnight. Simply apply the hair mask and use a shower cap to cover your hair so that it does not spoil the sheets and pillows on your bed. The ideal time would be to apply it for seven hours. However, if you have just minor issues, then following our step-by-step guide would be the better option.
How often should you use this hair mask?
If you are looking to turn your hair lustrous and healthy, and sustain it for a long time, then you should use this hair mask at least 2 times in a week. If you have really dry hair then doing it 3 times would give you better results. However, make sure that you do not overdo it, as it can lead to your hair swelling up and getting further damaged.
What is the kind of honey one should use for this hair mask?
While using the coconut oil and honey hair mask, it is very important to use pure and good quality products, if you want to really take care of your hair. Only pure honey can give you the best antibacterial and antifungal benefits. This is where a brand like Eiwa Honey does the job for you, thanks to our unadulterated honey. We promise to deliver you honey that involves next-to-no human involvement throughout its manufacturing stages. Moreover, you get multiple flavours of honey to choose from. With ingredients like Ajwain and Mustard being good for hair, having them in your honey will provide your hair more nutrition and care.
Now that you know the best benefits of using coconut oil-honey hair mask, get started with it and give your hair the care it deserves.